NZ Press Association (2007). Kauri help build picture of El Niño variations. New Zealand Herald, 2 February 2007.
Smith, D. (2007). A spot of time travel finds a golden result. Sydney Morning Herald, 1 February 2007.
Smith, B. (2009). ‘Whingeing Poms’ had cause to moan. The Age 27 July 2009.
Macey, R. (2009). How Sydney treated convicts to a roast. Sydney Morning Herald 27 July 2009.
Morton, A. (2010). Past helps piece together future climate change. The Age, 31 May 2010.
Mahar, J. (2010). First Fleet insight on climate changes. The Sydney Morning Herald, p3.
Peddie, A. (2010). Off to a stormy start. Adelaide Advertiser, 1 October 2010, p23.
Williams, B. (2010). La Nina belted convicts. Courier Mail, 2 October 2010, p36.
Samandar, L. (2010). Violent storms hit First Fleet. Illawara Mecury, 2 October 2010, p24.
Swallow, J. (2010). First Fleet logs reveal climate patterns. Australian Geographic 1 October 2010.
Holland, M. (2010). Secrets of First Fleet revealed. The Daily Telegraph, 1 October 2010.
Stuart, G. (2010). Records reveal First Fleet’s wet welcome. ABC Science Online, 30 September 2010.
AAP (2010). First Fleet experienced bad weather. The Age, 30 September 2010.
AAP (2010). First Fleet ‘experienced wild weather’. SBS News, 30 September 2010.
Cathcart, M. (2011). Climate detectives unlocking the secrets of climate change. ABC Bush Telegraph, 26 April 2011.
Price, L. (2012). Unearthing Australia’s climate. ABC Country Hour, 17 February 2012.
O’Hare, K. (2012). Weather watchers unite. The Voice (supplement in The Age), Volume 8 Number 2 February 13–March 11 2012.
Huntington, S. (2014). Climate variations in the Southern Hemisphere, RRR Einstein A Go Go, 4 May 2014.
Smith, B. (2014). Australia’s early settlers weathered drought and flooding rains. Sydney Morning Herald, 1 October 2014.
Sunburnt Country book launch media April-May 2018:
- University of Melbourne, public talk event, 5 April, Melbourne
- State Library NSW public talk event, in partnership with Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists, 10 April, Sydney
- Australian National University public talk event, in partnership with the Climate Change Institute, 11 April, Canberra
- National Library of Australia public talk event, 12 April, Canberra
- Queensland Global Change Institute and AMOS Queensland public talk event, 19 April, Brisbane
- Brisbane City Libraries, Chermside Library public talk event, 20 April, Brisbane
- Varuna Blue Mountains Sydney Writers Festival panel, Session 1: Cracking Climate by Cracking Consumption, 27-28 April, Blue Mountains NSW
- Sydney Writers Festival 2018, Session 2: Climate Change: A Hastening Catastrophe, 2-6 May, Sydney
- Euroa Library/Strathbogie Voices public talk event, 13 May, Euroa VIC
- AMOS-Tasmania, public talk event, 16 May, Hobart
- Federation Uni/BREAZE public talk event, 27 July 2018, Ballarat VIC
- State Library VIC public talk event, 26 July 2018, Melbourne
- Byron Bay Writers Festival, session 1: The Anthropocene: Human Survival in the New Epoch, 4 August 2018, Byron Bay
- Byron Bay Writers Festival, Session 2: Keeping the Blue Planet Green, 5 August 2018, Byron Bay
- Melbourne Writers Festival event, Death of the Environment, 1 September 2018, Melbourne
- Brisbane Writers Festival event, In Conversation with Helen Caldicott, 6-9 September, Brisbane
- Greenpeace Australia, public talk event, 19 September 2018, Kangaroo Valley NSW
- Lighter Footprints, Why Should I care? Community forum, Hawthorn Town Hall, 20 October 2018, Melbourne
- Perth Writers Week, Session 1: Letters to the future, 21st Feb, University of Western Australia 21-24 February 2019, Perth
- Perth Writers Week, Session 2: The Great moral challenge of our Generation, 23rd Feb, University of Western Australia 21-24 February 2019, Perth
- Perth Writers Week, Session 3: Sunburnt Country, 24th Feb, University of Western Australia 21-24 February 2019, Perth
TV, RADIO AND PODCAST
- ABC TV, News Breakfast
- ABC TV, Matter of Fact
- BBC World Service Radio, World Today
- ABC Radio National, Breakfast
- ABC, Nightlife
- ABC Alice Springs, Breakfast
- ABC Canberra, Mornings
- ABC North and West South Australia, Mornings
- ABC Brisbane, Statewide Drive
- ABC Sydney, Focus
- ABC Hobart, Evenings
- ABC South East NSW, Mornings
- ABC Radio National, The Money
- 3CR, Earth Matters
- 3RRRFM, The Grapevine
- BayFM, Banterstan
- BayFM, Make a Change
- 3CR Beyond Zero Emissions Radio, interview and podcast
- University of Melbourne, Eavesdrop on Experts, podcast
- The Conversation AUS Trust Me I’m an Expert, podcast
- The Conversation UK The Anthill, podcast
- New Books in Australian and New Zealand Studies, podcast
- New Books Network USA, podcast
PRINT AND ONLINE
- The New York Times, feature
- Australian Book Review, review
- The Saturday Age/Sydney Morning Herald, review
- Sydney Morning Herald, feature
- The Sunday Age/Sydney Morning Herald/Brisbane Times, personal profile
- Gardening Australia magazine, inclusion
- The Guardian, inclusion
- Readings Monthly, inclusion
- Sunday Territorian, review
- Adelaide Advertiser, review
- Euroa Gazette, feature
- The Chronicle (Toowoomba), review
- Ocean Magazine, review
- Australian Historical Studies, review
- Quaternary Australasia, review
- Property Law, review
- Australian Quaternary Association Journal, review
- Australian Geographic, feature
- Arena magazine, review
- Insurance News magazine, feature
- The Australian Women’s Weekly, feature
- The Conversation, extract
- Pursuit, extract
- ABC Online, feature
Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times, Canberra Times, 11 January 2019: https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/lessons-learnt-and-perhaps-forgotten-from-australia-s-worst-fires-20190108-p50qol.html
ART+CLIMATE=CHANGE 2019 Festival art exhibition, Water Soil and Life, 4–25 May 2019: https://www.artclimatechange.org/2019/event/water-soil-life/
New York Times, 19 May 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/world/australia/election-climate-change.html
Keynote speaker, Australian Actuaries Institute conference, Time to Act, 4 June 2019: https://actuaries.asn.au/microsites/actuaries-summit-2019/program-and-presentations/speakers
ABC Radio National Breakfast, interview based on AMOS keynote presentation, 11 June 2019: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/paris-pledges-need-to-triple-to-stay-within-2c-of-global-warming/11197900
ABC Radio Canberra Drive, 31 July 2019: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/programs/drive/drive/11344186
ABC TV Media Watch, 5 August 2019: https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/thunberg/11385094
The Australian Women’s Weekly magazine, September 2019, 19 August 2019: https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-australian-womens-weekly/20190819
The Monthly/Saturday Paper 7am podcast, September 2019: https://7ampodcast.com.au/episodes/grief-anger-and-climate-change
Insurance News magazine, 1 September 2019: https://issuu.com/insurancenewsmagazine/docs/0619-magazine-final?fr=sMmRjOTI2MDEx
Byron Shire Council (NSW), Climate risk briefing to Councillors and all staff, 6 September 2019
New York Times, 9 September 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/world/australia/bushfires-wildfires-climate-change.html
BBC World Service, radio interview on the Australian bushfires, 10 September 2019
The Washington Post, 11 September 2019: https://beta.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/09/10/wildfires-rage-australias-natural-disaster-minister-doubts-man-made-climate-change-is-real/
The Byron Echo, 11 September 2019: https://www.echo.net.au/2019/09/future-climate-change/
Australian Geographic, 16 September 2019: https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2019/09/here-are-7-books-australian-climate-change-scientists-recommend-you-read/
ABC Radio Overnights, 26 September 2019: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/overnights/overnights/11556702
Danish Television ‘Horisont’ (equivalent of Australia’s Dateline or Foreign Correspondent), 22 October 2019:
Public talk: What every Australian should know about climate change, Sydney, 23 October 2019: https://www.coralcoe.org.au/crs_event/coral-reef-futures-symposium-2019
Quantum Words Science Writing Festival, Perth, Alternative Facts: writing about science in a post-truth world, 9 November 2019: https://qwp.writingwa.org/event/alternative-facts-science-in-a-post-truth-world/
Quantum Words Science Writing Festival, Perth, Sunburnt Country: Climate change in Australia, 10 November 2019: https://qwp.writingwa.org/event/sunburnt-country-climate-change-in-australia/
New York Times, 11 November 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/world/australia/fires-sydney-new-south-wales.html
Welcoming address, Connecting the Urban public forum, 12 November 2019: https://fennerschool.anu.edu.au/news-events/events/connecting-urban-global-perspectives-and-local-initiatives
2019 Mick Dark Talk for the Future, Wentworth Falls NSW, Sunburnt Country: The history and future of climate change in Australia, 15 November 2019: https://www.varuna.com.au/programs/2019/9/25/2019-mick-dark-talk-for-the-future
Vice Magazine, 23 November 2019:https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwygg/the-collapse-of-civilization-may-have-already-begun
New York Times, 8 December 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/08/world/australia/water-drought-climate.html
New York Times interview, 8 January 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/world/australia/fires-murdoch-disinformation.html
New York Times interview, 23 January 2020: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/world/australia/fires-craig-kelly-climate-denial.html
Portrait sitting for 2018 Archibald Award winner Yvette Coppersmith for entry into the 2020 Archibald Prize, 31 January 2020.
Australian Women’s Weekly magazine interview, 01 February 2020 p28-29: https://reader.magzter.com/preview/6j37a3uvtc8u1tk2eatfck4076860/407686
Sydney Morning Herald, 08 February 2020: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/a-summer-of-flame-20200206-p53ydj.html
USA CBS 60 Minutes, television interview (NB this is the leading current affairs program in the USA with 11 million viewers): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-fires-climate-change-relationship-60-minutes-2020-02-16/?fbclid=IwAR2ofGt4n3F0iLsMnIWH9qyg38f_DFd8zIQL69SsLtU2atcwMdoPCLBKNbU
ANU Ursula Hall speaker for The Nature of Things series Apocalypse Now? 19 February 2020: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-nature-of-things-apocalypse-now-tickets-92856441115
ABC Radio National, Australia Wide interview, 28 February 2020: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/australia-wide/dr-joelle-gergis/12018440
Men’s Health magazine interview, 28 February 2020: The world is burning, May 2020 print edition, p 78-85.
My book Sunburnt Country included in the Book Industry Climate Action Group’s Books for the Climate Emergency must-read list, 4 March 2020: https://bit.ly/39krEA9
Interview for Shooting Films documentary on the 2019–2020 Australian bushfire crisis, 13 March 2020
Harvard University Nieman Reports, Covering Climate Change and Countering Skepticism in Australia, 28 April 2019: https://niemanreports.org/articles/covering-climate-change-and-countering-skepticism-in-australia/
ABC online interview Australia’s longest weather record reveals snow in surprising places, 11 June 2020: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-11/weather-record-reveals-more-snow-fewer-heatwaves/12339414
Org online article Records reveal new trends in Australian temperature extremes:https://phys.org/news/2020-06-reveal-trends-australian-temperature-extremes.html
ABC Radio Canberra interview on Australian temperature extremes, 4 June 2020
ABC Radio Bathurst interview on Australian temperature extremes, 4 June 2020
Panellist for Melbourne’s City of Yarra’s Cultural Forum event Climate Emergency, 29 June 2020: https://yarralibraries.libnet.info/event/4361943
Adelaide Advertiser (reprinted in Daily Telegraph) interview on Australian temperature extremes and citizen science, 9 July 2020: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/diary-of-adelaide-weather-from-1843-to-1856-gives-sa-the-longest-continual-temperature-records-in-australia/news-story/d411e7ad1e233316d82a502ed7a70476?btr=3a30de15f57b3a0dcaf04e9141f56bdc
The Monthly/Saturday Paper 7am podcast, 20 July 2020: https://7ampodcast.com.au/episodes/why-we-need-to-feel-climate-change
Climatic podcast, 10 August 2020: https://www.climactic.com.au/show/climactic/joelle-gergis-climate-scientist-author-troubled-sleeper/
COSMOS magazine interview, 8 September 2020: https://cosmosmagazine.com/people/citizenscience/renewed-interest-in-weathered-records/
Co-author on open letter to the Chief Scientist of Australia, 25 August 2020: https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/australia-s-chief-scientist-is-wrong-on-gas-say-leading-experts-20200824-p55oty.html
ABC South Australia interview, launch of Climate History Australia citizen science project, 8 September 2020
ABC Country Hour interview, 8 September 2020: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-09-08/citizen-science-project-to-transcribe-weather-diary/12638878
ABC Life Matters interview, launch of Climate History Australia citizen science project, 9 September 2020: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/want-to-help-fill-in-the-blanks-of-our-weather-history/12641620
ABC Perth interview, launch of Climate History Australia citizen science project, 10 September 2020