Joëlle’s research focuses on providing a long-term historical context for assessing recently observed climate variability and extremes. She is the Director of Climate History Australia, a landmark initiative to reconstruct past climate variability and extremes to improve future climate change risk.. Her current research interests include:
- Climate variability and change in Australia, Australasia and the Southern Hemisphere
- Historical climatology
- Australian climate history
- Climate reconstructions of the last 1,000 years
- Palaeoclimate data–climate model comparisons of the last 1,000 years
- Citizen science for recovering historical weather observations
See the Publications page for more details.